Simpson Manor, located on the southern outskirts of Northampton, is a modern housing development; and is part of Wootton and East Hunsbury Parish. The Neighbourhood Watch scheme is active, and not only tries to reduce crime, but keeps the community up-to-date with other events in the area. It also has a Trusted Tradesmen Scheme, where members can recommend good contractors who have made a good job on their homes.
What Was Here?
Despite being called Simpson Manor, there is no evidence of a Manor ever being on the site. In 1932 local schoolchildren compiled a map of all the field names in Wootton. Where Simpson Manor stands, a field called Cockerill’s Gardens is depicted, and in the early part of the 20th century many of the Wootton men worked here for the Alfred Cockerill Nursery. We have found a bit about Alfred Cockerill (who we assume to be the same man) here . He appears to have been responsible for building the County Ground and owned a lot of land at Abington. He was a market gardener and farmer.
Around the beginning of World War II, Quebec Barracks, a new home for the Northamptonshire Regiment was built. These were renamed Simpson Barracks in the late 1950s and the Royal Pioneer Corps moved in. In 1993 The Royal Pioneer Corps were amalgamated into The Royal Logistics Corps.
In 1960 the Royal Lincolnshire Regiments and the Northamptonshire Regiment was amalgamated to form The 2nd East Anglian Regiment (Duchess of Gloucesters Own Royal Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire)
In 1964 this Regiment became what we know today as The Royal Anglian Regiment and were also stationed at Quebec Barracks (Simpson).
They remained there until the barracks’ demolition in the late 1990s making way for the new housing development.
A bit about our street names and military history
In 1758 The 48th Foot Regiment took part in the Battle of Louisberg (Nova Scotia Canada) with distinction.
In 1806 the 58th Rutlandshire Regiment of Foot fought with distinction in the Napolionic Wars against the French, Italians, Poles and Swiss at the Battle of Maida which is in Calibria, Italy. The British, outgunned and outnumbered gave their counterparts a pasting and won the day – more Battle Honours and the Rutlands were amalgamated into the 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment.